“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases”
SharkBite fittings are a type of push-fit plumbing connectors that can join different types of pipes without soldering, gluing or threading. They are popular among DIYers and homeowners who want to make quick and easy repairs or modifications to their plumbing systems. But do they have any drawbacks? One common question that people ask is whether SharkBite fittings reduce water flow or pressure in the pipes.
The short answer is no. SharkBite fittings do not reduce water flow or pressure in any significant way. They have a similar inner diameter as the pipes they connect, so they do not create any major restriction or obstruction in the water flow. In fact, some people claim that SharkBite fittings actually improve water flow because they eliminate leaks and create smoother transitions between different types of pipes.
Read Relevant Post: Are Sharkbite Fittings Legal In California?
However, there are some factors that can affect water flow and pressure in any plumbing system, regardless of the type of fittings used. These include:
- The size and length of the pipes
- The number and angle of bends and turns in the pipes
- The presence of valves, filters, regulators or other devices in the pipes
- The condition and cleanliness of the pipes
- The water demand and usage in the house
Therefore, if you notice a drop in water flow or pressure after installing SharkBite fittings, it may not be caused by the fittings themselves, but by other issues in your plumbing system. For example, you may have undersized pipes for your water demand, or you may have clogs or corrosion in your pipes that reduce water flow. You will also know that are SharkBite Fittings legal or illegal in your state.
To troubleshoot these issues, you can try:
- Checking for leaks or damage in your pipes
- Flushing your pipes with hot water or vinegar to remove sediment or mineral buildup
- Replacing old or worn-out valves, filters, regulators or other devices with new ones
- Adjusting your water pressure regulator to increase or decrease the water pressure
- Installing a booster pump to increase the water pressure if it is too low
If none of these solutions work, you may need to consult a licensed plumber who can inspect your plumbing system and recommend the best course of action.
SharkBite fittings are a convenient and reliable way to connect different types of pipes without soldering. They do not reduce water flow or pressure significantly as long as they are installed correctly and according to the manufacturer’s instructions. However, if you experience any problems with your water flow or pressure after using SharkBite fittings, you should check for other possible causes and fix them accordingly.